Thursday, August 21, 2008

Heart Burn from Heck

Since yesterday, I've been having this horrible horrible heartburn almost throughout the day. Taking Maalox or some crackers/milk, what have you has only been able to quell the symptoms for an hour at a time, at the most.

In anticipation of this, I put a box of crackers by the bed last night. Sure enough, I had to sit up in bed after waking up this morning and chew on a few crackers before the burning sensation went away. ( I bet this is the only time I can get away with eating crackers in bed ).

This is what BabyCenter.com has to say

"During pregnancy, the placenta produces the hormone progesterone, which relaxes the smooth muscles of the uterus. This hormone also relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach, allowing gastric acids to seep back up, which causes that unpleasant burning sensation. GRRR..

Progesterone also slows down the wavelike contractions of your esophagus and intestines, making digestion sluggish. Later in pregnancy, your growing baby crowds your abdominal cavity, pushing the stomach acids back up into the esophagus."

and apparently it gets worse with time.

ARGHHH

I'm only 8 weeks ( tomorrow ) !! The hubs has a countdown going on the chalkboard in the kitchen ( eg: 8 weeks down, 32 weeks to go ). On the other hand, as someone who has always fretted about her thin, fine and limp hair, ( and bear with me on this ), apparently if you have major heartburn during pregnancy, your baby might just turn out to have hair of Captain Caveman proportions!.

Anyway, the hubs is getting me to try and eat some ice cream to help settle the stomach.

With my luck, I'll only get brain freeze.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I recommend a pillow wedge so that you sleep more upright. I had heartburn as well and while this didn't SOLVE it, it certainly helped at night. The pillow looks like a triangle made of foam, but it's big enough to lay on.

Anonymous said...

eeeee that is a pix of captain caveman. Captain cavemannnnnnN!

Monica said...

I have been slacking off reading everyones blog and I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!! CONGRATS