Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Good Grief, are we to THAT stage already??

In conjuction with you showering independently, there may have been another reason behind this milestone.

A few weeks ago, I started getting a whiff of "adult odor" around you, but didn't think much of it at first.  Daddy didn't think he smelt anything,* but I was pretty sure there were some smells wafting off of you.

Then, I started smelling it more and more, and decided that it needed some seeing to.

So, came the "let me sniff you all over and see what's going on" test.

What can I say but, "GOOD LORD!"

Body-odor-in-puberty

On the one hand, I was appalled, but on the other hand, I was worried.  WHY DOES MY 8 YEAR OLD HAVE UNDERARM ODORS LIKE A GROWN UP???

I don't recall having such odoriferousness growing up, ( although I did have stinky sweaty feet from being in covered school shoes all day long, but I blame that on living in a hot, humid, tropical country. )

You are an active child, but it's not like you're running miles or shooting hoops for hours on end!

So, as anyone would in these circumstances, I GOOGLED!

I was quite relieved to find out that around 8 years old is when all this funkiness might begin.

I also found out that East Asians like myself, are waaaaaaaay ( like 80% or so ) less prone to the stinky armpit scourge than say, our Western counterparts. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but you have the "wet earwax" thingy as well, like a Western person would, instead of the dry variety like I do. And while we're at it, you certainly did not get your amazing hair from me either. Daddy says let's hope you don't get the genetic predisposition for short sightedness from my side of the family.

I AM all broken up inside that my little boy is maturing sooner than I am willing to let go of his little-hood,**
content
but at the same time I'm a little anxious about all the explaining I'd have to do once "the time" comes.

Nevertheless, you were good natured enough about it, and so we are being conscientious about showering and changing our clothes every day, and so far, it has made a big difference.

HURRAY!!!!
*and yes, I have already boxed away your old picture books with a very heavy heart*

No comments: