Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sweets for my Sweet, Sugar for my huuunnnyy

I had to go do a non fasting glucose tolerance test of Friday as part of the gestational diabetes screening you have to go through when you're between 24 - 28 weeks pregnant.

I had heard a lot of horror stories about how bad the sugary stuff was, that they make you drink . ( 50 grams of glucose). After an hour, they have to collect a sample of your blood to see how your body is handling the sugar load.



It really didn't taste that bad. Probably it was because it was chilled, and kinda tasted like Sunkist Orange or Fanta Orange, except without the fizz. They even had a choice of Tropical Fruit Punch or Cola! I thought I'd just stick with orange.

Anyway, the lady at the lab started her timer, and Cindy and I walked around downtown, hoping to walk some of the sugar out of the system ( is that cheating? oh well. ) and came back to the lab with 5 minutes to spare. Hopefully the results will be completely normal and I won't have to do a dreaded 3 hour Oral Glucose Tolerance Test.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's not the end of the world if it comes out positive. But walking arpund is cheating a little. I do that when I feel I have eaten little too much carb.