Monday, April 12, 2010

Got Milk?

We've had quite the journey with breastfeeding. At first I was anxious that I wasn't producing enough, and then hey presto, there was enough ( it seemed ) for 2 babies! Then we started solids, and you started nursing less and less. We gradually changed you over to some formula and the sippy cup, and now it's a combination of nursing/formula and 2% milk, with nursing contributing the least amount of milk, but it's still there nevertheless.

At some point, the weaning process will have to happen. I have mixed emotions about this. It has been such a wonderful bonding experience to have shared with you, but at the same time,
  • Them gals are drying up
  • They start getting sore as you try to suck even though "them girls are drying up".
  • It's impossible to unlatch you once you're latched on and asleep, and almost always results in you waking up and crying.
  • etc.
I guess we'll just go with the flow for now, and cross the proverbial bridge when we come to it. But for now, sore n*ps and all, I'll cherish this special time that I've been blessed to have been able to nurse my babyness.

1 comment:

Thao said...

I finally called it quits with the pumping this weekend. I stopped the fenugreek and went down to 1 time a night and now I do not pump. It has been painless. I will be going out of town on business and just couldn't deal with that any longer. I think 14 months is good enough.

As for the snack, I found these fruit and veggie pouches that are organic. Plum Organics makes then but there is also other brands. It is pureed and they self feed with them. I get them for when we are not home and out and about and it works great. I got them when they were on sale at BRU for $1 a piece, kind of pricey but it is so convenient and it is healthy. You can find them online too, I think Happy Baby has meat ones too.