Monday, August 8, 2022

Things Chinese

I haven't been the most Chinese-y of all mothers, and definitely far from Tiger Mom-dom, but I DO try to expose you to some cultural aspects of being Chinese.

When I was growing up, I was labeled a Banana - Yellow on the outside and White on the Inside.

I could speak and understand Cantonese because that was what I had to use to communicate with my relatives - especially Our Grandparents who lived with us, but that was about it. Our parents spoke to us in English.

I only learned Mandarin and Hokkien for real, when I first entered University where 99 percent of the Chinese people I was around, spoke those languages, and it immediately became Instant Immersion Language Learning for me. 

ANYWAY, whatever Chinese Culture I have in me, I hope to at least impart some of that to you.


Plus, you LOVE mooncakes, anyway :)

No comments: